Monday, March 20, 2017

Reading Notes: Indian Gods and Heroes, Part A

Being able to chose my readings for the semester will allow of a lot of creative freedom. I am looking forward to it! This week I decided to focus on the relationship between Rama and Sita. When reading the Ramayana, I really like their relationship and seeing what the other meant to themselves. The part that I would like to write about this week is the task that must be completed for Rama to have Sita. I think that I could make it a modern and humorous story. It has a lot of potential.

The phone that Sita uses to tweet

In the original story, Rama must lift the divine bow and string it. He successfully completes the task and wins over Sita. This is not what happens today when people are wanting to be together. Unfortunately, social media and technology is taking over this generation, so I could write a story about how Rama must write the perfect Twitter post and get a certain celebrity to follow them. I think a lot of people my age could relate to the story. Not in the sense that they must win someone over in social media, but that social media is everywhere and that a lot of emphasis is put onto it. I think that writing a story along these lines would be very different for me. It would still be a love story, but it would be silly and very modern.

In the original story there is a lot of details involving the looks between Rama and Sita and the challenge itself. I would take these details and modernize them. This would mean that Rama saw Sita’s Twitter account and thought that it was the funniest page he had ever seen. From that moment he knew he had to have her. Sita’s father would want Rama to complete a task that would benefit him and know that Sita would be safe with him. This would mean that Rama would have to get a certain celebrity that Sita’s father loves to follow him because that would give him an “in” for the celebrity. I look forward to writing this story.



Bibliography:

Stories of India’s Gods and Heroes written by W. D. Monro M. A., online source

No comments:

Post a Comment