Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Reading Post: Indian Gods and Heroes, Part B

There is one part of the fourth section in this story that I feel has a lot of potential for a story. There is a giant that is mocking Ravana. When I read this, I was very surprised. The giant must have a lot of nerve if they feel that they are comfortable enough to poke fun at Ravana. I know that I would never do that. The giant continues to say that Ravana needs to attack Rama now that he has Sita. He needs to be strong and take charge of the situation in order for Sita to love him. The giant also adds on that if during the fight Rama tried to hit the giant, then it will be the end for Rama.

The giant that talks to Ravana


I feel like the conversation between the giant and Ravana has a lot of empty threats to it. It seems as if it is just talk. Almost as if the giant is getting Ravana pumped for the fight that is about to come, rather than strategically placing tactics against Rama.


I could write a story based on the conversation between these two characters. I could have pretty much the same outcome but in a more modern setting that is relatable. This would allow me to keep my story close to the original and not deviate as much. I find myself going away from originals rather than re-writing them, so this is something that I might try. Another possibility would be to completely change the story. Have the giant become a different type of character that is much smaller and quiet and so when he tells Ravana to stop hesitating it would come off much more powerful. This new character would also show a lot of nerve. Ravana would then not know where this came from and really think about what the character said.  


Bibliography: Stories of India's Gods and Heroes written by W. D. Monro M. A., online source

No comments:

Post a Comment