Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Week 9 Story Planning: Twitter Account

After doing the readings this week, a lot of new ideas came into my head regarding how I can switch up the Ramayana. I realized that I needed to take more time to consider my stories before writing one.

My first story idea is a modern tale of how Rama won over Sita. This would be a goofy and silly story because I would completely change up the task that the father asked Rama to complete. The original task was to have Rama lift the divine bow and string it. This showed that he was powerful and able to be with Sita. In the modern version, it would have something to do with social media. In my reading notes I mentioned that it might be to get a certain person to follow Rama on twitter so that the father could have an in with the celebrity. Another option could be to have Rama obtain a certain amount of followers on Instagram or get a large enough fame and fan base to get verified. I find these possible stories very silly, but it would allow me to write a comedic story which is unlike any other story I have written for this class.


I know that I want to have the story revolve around the social media world, but I have not figured out which platform I want to be involved and how to get the fathers approval. Rama and Sita would both be characters that grew up in the technology era which completely runs their life. This would make their relationship much more common to some that are present in the world today. They would be a little narcassitic and vapid, but ultimately they would love each other like the do in the original. The father would want the fame all for himself to get himself somehow ahead of the game, but he wants his daughter to be happy as well. There is a lot of character development that I can include in the story for next week.

I did research on what verification means on Twitter. This means that it formally validates who a person is by having the blue checkmark next to their name. A lot of people view this as someone that is a top player in society, so that could be why the father wants Rama to be verified so badly. Twitter now allows anyone to apply to be verified, so this would be possibly for Rama.

My ideas are very different from any story that I have done, so I look forward to writing the story next week!

Bibliography: Stories of India’s Gods and Heroes written by W. D. Monro M. A., online source


Research bibliography: Twitter information on Wikipedia

3 comments:

  1. This is a really cute idea for a modern twist on the Ramayana. I like the idea of Sita’s father being really set on garnering some kind of benefit from his daughter’s relationship via social media fame. I think it’s a funny and engaging take on the idea of social media running our lives. I also really like your take on them being a little vapid and shallow. To be fair, though, I would have to say that they were the same way in the original. I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very cool idea for a twist on the Ramayana. I am a big fan of the Ramayana and also a twitterholic, but I never thought of doing this very cool idea. I feel that this would be the perfect way to implement the Ramayana into the everyday world, as it seems so many people are addicted to social media (myself included haha).I look forward to see which social media platform you use and how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah, your idea for this plot twist was super modern and I love that! I think it is cool to see someone take such a traditional story and turn it into something so modern. I love to read peoples different takes on the Ramayana as well so this seems like a good idea! I am interested to see if you actually write this story in week 10 because you have grabbed my interest and made me want to read this story! Looking forward to hopefully reading this take next week!

    ReplyDelete