Monday, January 23, 2017

Reading Notes: Public Domain Ramayana, Part A

Sita is the 8th chapter of the Ramayana from the online version. I like how much detail is put into everything. Almost every sentence describes the location or how everything looks in such a specific way. I can truly picture what Rama and his brother Lakshmana look like when they are walking down the street and everyone is staring at them. I love how even the people in the street know that he is meant for Sita. When Sita sees the princes and Rama hears Sita, it is almost love at first sight/hearing. They know they are meant to be together. I could write a story about Sita and Rama seeing each other, but realizing it takes a lot more to fall in love. Eventually they would be together but it would take time rather than 2 seconds.

 Rama eventually wins Sita throughout the next two chapters. The words used in the 10th chapter, Rama Wins Sita, are so descriptive and I really like this. I can feel, see, and hear what is going on just from reading the story. In my story, I will strive to make sentences that work towards helping the reader feel what is going on rather than solely reading it. I want to be descriptive in my word choice.

The lovely couple, Rama and Sita 


After the wedding, Dasharatha claimed Rama as his Heir Apparent. He had four options. He simply chose him due to everyone liking him but he wanted approval. Instead of choosing this way, an interesting way would be to conduct a test to see which son would be the most successful heir apparent. This would create tension, drama, and suspense.

Later, Rama is banished. He seems to take this news with pride and knows there must be a reason for this decision.
 “All the royal attendants wept, but Rama was unmoved as is the ocean when a pot of water is drawn from it or poured in” (finishing line of Rama's banishment)
This shows how loyal and respectful Rama is of the decisions made.


Throughout all of the chapters I read, I was most interested in the story plot with Rama and his wife Rita and the power he gained. The stories have great detail and such great word choice that it allows the reader to fully understand what is happening. You are able to feel the happiness or pain as well. I hope to evoke this through my writing.


Bibliography
Public Domain Ramayana by Gould, Donald A. Mackenzie, Romesh Dutt, and Sister Nivedita, online reading

No comments:

Post a Comment