Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Reading notes: Public Domain Ramayana, Part B


Rama shows great strength and honor when he denies coming back. He was exiled for a reason, and just because Dasharatha has died, it does not mean that he can come back. Having Rama give Bharata his golden sandals will allow people that once loved Rama know that he is still there. Rama is showing that he is noble. This is an admirable trait for a character and I will incorporate this into my story.


Shurpanakha seems like an antagonist in this story as she is trying to seduce Rama, a loyal and married man. It mentions how ugly she is and that her heart is filled of love for Rama. She is going to pursue Rama, but the feelings are not reciprocated. In my story, I could make Rama be seduced by Shurpanakha and make there be almost a love triangle and he has to chose which woman he loves more. He would choose Sita, but there would be this conflict that would add some drama to the story. There is later a fight and Shurpanakha is humiliated and jealous and wishes to get revenge.

I like to see conflict due to power/love so this part of the story is very interesting for me. A battle begins and Rama has so much love for Sita that he needs to protect her before the fight breaks out. He must live in order to be with his beloved wife. Rama won the battle. In my story, I was thinking that I could write that somehow Sita had been captured by Khara and Rama would have to obey Khara to get Sita back, which means Rama could easily get hurt. Due to him having great power, Rama would win the battle and continue to love Sita. Having this occur would create possible trust issues between Rama and Lakshmana, whom he told to secure Sita, and this would create tension.

I can see my story going along the lines of Rama being the main character and him having to choose between a lot of difficult decisions, but he chooses the right one every time. It would create drama and a more modern twist on a love story.



Bibliography
Public Domain Ramayana written by Donald A. Mackenzie and Romesh Dutt

No comments:

Post a Comment