Monday, February 13, 2017

Reading Notes: Public Domain Mahabharata, Part A

Just from reading the beginning of this story, I am interested in the idea of a mortal/immortal character. Either the mortal has powers of an immortal or an immortal lacks powers and is more of a mortal entity. Either way, I think that it has the ability to be an interesting story. It is always fun to write a story that has the ability to be as creative as the writer desires.

my idea of a connection with Beauty and the Beast

I think that it is really interesting that this story has talked a lot about the odor of Satyavati. It seems like a really important part. I could write a story with this same idea, but instead of having an odor, she can have another thing wrong with her that another character must over come. It sort of reminds me faintly of Beauty and the Beast. The Beast is a hideous monster that needs someone to love him. Belle over comes his appearance and loves him. In the Mahabharata, the King doesn’t overcome her scent but rather changes it. Writing a story with the same idea would be fun and I would have a lot of creative freedom to choose what is best for the characters.

From reading the first section of the Mahabharata, I have noticed the importance of children. The majority of chapters has to do with the birth of a child, or remembering which child belongs to who. I could write a story that deals with children from different people that are all some how interconnected to create a story that has an impact like the Mahabharata. This would be pretty complex, but a modern twist would add a lot to a story like this.

what Satyavati smells like 

I could see myself writing a story from the perspective of Satyavati. Especially the part where she is left behind due to her fishy odor. I could write the story from her point of view and show how everyone’s actions around her affect her in ways that people might not think.


Bibliography:

Public Domain Mahabharata written by Mackenzie, Nivedita, Macfie, online source

No comments:

Post a Comment