Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Week 4 Storytelling: The Ringtone

My name is Sarah Smith and I have not found love. I have always been the person that would help my friends meet people, but I have not been in a serious relationship yet. I know that my time will come. This was especially true on the first of February.

It was just an ordinary day at school. Nothing different. There was a crisp breeze as I walked outside to get to my locker after fifth period, and that is when it happened. My life changed.

I was getting my books and I overheard two boys talking. They were discussing the assignment for Physics when all of a sudden my heart stopped. A phone went off and I couldn’t believe what
I heard. It was a ringtone to the tune of my favorite band. It followed by the boy being distraught that  his friend had bailed and that he now had an extra ticket to the band's concert. I immediately closed my locker to only find the boys walking away, but one of them turned around and it was my friend Chris.

Tickets to the concert 

Chris and I had known each other for years. Our mom are great friends so we naturally became play date buddies when we were little. I quickly went up to Chris after school and asked who his friend was. I knew that I had to meet him.

“His name is Drew. He is new this semester. He is pretty chill” Chris mumbled.

And with this information, my heart began to sing.
“I need to meet him Chris. My life almost depends on it. Will you please do this for me?”

Chris looked at me with his sharp blue eyes and said “Anything for you”.

I went home to prepare for my life changing, earth shattering meeting with Drew. Chris gave me some details about Drew. He says that he is funny and has a great taste in music. If Chris was giving this information about Drew, then I knew that I could trust it. Chris is incredibly trustworthy.

The new morning quickly arrived and it was time to ready. I put on my cutest dress and wore makeup that showed off my sparkling hazel eyes. I had a great feeling about today.

I looked down the hallway and my heart stopped. I saw Drew and Chris standing by my locker. I quickly fixed my hair and began to walk. I thought to myself “do not trip”! This was it.

“Hey Sarah, have you met my friend Drew?” Chris promptly stated as he tried his best to not make it obvious about what was going on.

I would say that we began to hit it off. Chris began to back out so it would be just the two of us, but then something happened. A phone began to ring. Not just any phone, but the phone that began this entire journey. All three of us stopped and looked at each other. I was waiting for Drew to answer the phone, but to my surprise it was Chris’s phone ringing. It was playing my favorite song from yesterday.

My world began to spin. Everything I thought that was happening because of Drew’s phone and music choice was not happening. It was all Chris. It was always him.

Chris and I locked eyes, and I said “it was you”.

Our faces began to flush and I knew that the feeling was mutual.

Suddenly the extra ticket for the concert appeared and Chris said “want to go?”.


Author’s note:

I had a fun time writing this silly teenage love story. I wanted to write a story that was based off of Rama and Sita’s relationship, but have a twist. In The Divine Archer, Rama falls in love with Sita with just the sound of her bangles. In my story, it is the ring tone. If I were to write this modern story just like The Divine Archer, then Drew and Sarah would have ended up together. I wanted it to not end that way, so that is why Chris and Sarah end up together.

Bibliography:
The Divine Archer by F. J. Gould, online source

2 comments:

  1. Hannah, I did not read the Divine Archer so your author's note was very helpful. What a cute story! I like the teenage fling vibe. It is pretty cool that you changed up the ending too! There were a few grammatical and comma errors. I was having a hard time with the rules of punctuation with dialogue too but our teacher sent me a link to all the rules. I'll paste that below so maybe it can help you too! Overall, great story and keep it up!
    http://writingwithaesop.blogspot.com/2011/01/punctuation-quoted-speech.html)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah,

    I loved reading this story. I am all about love stories and this was especially cute. By the way that Chris talked to Sarah I knew that he liked her. I was actually getting really upset that she was falling for Drew. However, I am glad you did a plot twist and it turned out to be Chris. I had not read the Divine Archer so the Authors Note was especially helpful.

    ReplyDelete