Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Reading Notes: Public Domain Mahabharata, Part B

I am reading part B, and realize that the Mahabharata discusses a lot of physical features of the characters that are involved. In this section there is a complete paragraph that focuses on the looks of a girl that came from ashes. It also mentions odor. I wonder if odor is a big part in Indian culture? When writing a story this week, I would like to really describe all of the characters involved like the Mahabharata does. It adds a lot to the story.


In one chapter, the characters are disguised as Brahmins. This adds a level of secrecy and anticipation. Will anyone realize who they are? How long will they be in disguise for? I could write a story where the characters are incognito in order to obtain something. This could be a person, an object, or just get to a place. It kind of reminds me of Harry Potter how they can transform into different people and in order to pass by certain people. It would be fun to write a story that has this same kind of feel and storyline.

When I saw the word karma in the description on the chapter I was immediately interested. Whether you believe in it or not, it is a very interesting concept. The Mahabharata’s take on karma was different than I thought that it would be. Nalayani asks for a husband 5 times, so she got 5 husbands. She did not like this. This was her karma. If I were to write a story around the idea of karma, I would make it much worse. I would make there be a horrible character that gets what they deserve at the end of the story. This almost provides a type of justice system for characters that are immoral and flat out rude.



Bibliography:

Public Domain Mahabharata written by Mackenzie, online source

No comments:

Post a Comment