Monday, April 10, 2017

Week 12 Reading Notes: Twenty Jataka Tales, Part A


This story really caught my eye. I love animals so I was hooked on the name The Guilty Dogs. When I think of guilty dogs, I think of my own. They often beg when they aren’t suppose to or sometimes they go to the restroom inside. I have a feeling that the guilty dogs in this story will be much different.

Seeing the king say to slay all dogs makes me sad. There is a better way to handle this in my opinion. I love that the chief dogs needs to take matters into his own hand. This shows that the other dogs respect him and he knows that he has to deal with tough stituations like this one. The fact the the chief dog is able to get into the kingdom without being killed due to his loving eyes is kind of the epitome of dogs in my opinion. The humans were ordered to kill every dog, yet when they see how cute he looks they can’t bare to touch him. I love the ending of the story. It has a surface level meaning of the dog being able to save his fellow dogs, but there is also a much deeper meaning. This deeper meaning is that the king listened to the chief dog, something that is a different species then him, and was willing to hear him out and see if his claim was true. I think that a lot of people could take a cue from the king in this story.




I could see myself writing a story from the royal dogs point of view. I could either make them evil in the sense that they wanted to get the other dogs in trouble with them knowing that they wouldn’t get touched because of their status of royal dog. Another idea would be that the royal dogs want to be free and with the city dogs. A completely different idea would be to have a similar story line except not to have it be between dogs and humans. It could be between a boss and a worker, a teacher and a student, there are so many possibilities. It would have a very similar plot throughout the entire story.


Bibliography: Twenty Jataka Tales written by Noor Inayat, online source

No comments:

Post a Comment